on 2.24.2009

Great Ideas aren't Mine ...

... they're God's.

I'm sitting at my computer yesterday, typing up an email to a colleague to invite her and the people with disabilities she serves to join us for worship at our Annual Synod Assembly. I think her group needs to be there because we need them to complete our worship gathering. Without their presence, we're very empty. They bring joy and remind us of the gift of God's diverse people.

All I had in mind was inviting them to join us in worship. Come, be there, sing, pray, and eat God's grace in the Lord's supper with us. And then the idea struck me, why not invite them to lead worship?

It was one of those moments where I knew the idea was not mine. It was planted like a seed in the dark ground. God opened a hole in my brain, removed dirt, and placed this wonderful idea there.

I was moved to thankfulness and continued reminder that my "great" ideas aren't really mine. They're God's. Now, I'm just waiting on her reply (which I'm thinking will be "yes").

I wonder if this is how the writers of our Bible worked. They sat down with their quills and scrolls, started trying to articulate what they had heard/seen God say/do, and then God planted these ideas that weren't theirs but solely his. Is this the process behind our proclamation that God's Word is "inspired"? I certainly felt it.

0 comments: